Some facts you should know about Utah Litigation
- Litigation is the legal process of resolving disputes.
- Lawsuits begin with the filing of a legal complaint in the proper court. After the lawsuit is filed, the parties engage in discovery by asking and answering questions and demands for evidence. We often use paralegals to keep your legal costs lower in this stage of the case.
- Hearings are often held by Judges to schedule a case, simplify the issues, resolve procedural disputes or to decide cases that don’t need a trial.
- Trials are the formal presentation of evidence by witnesses.
- Appeals are attempts of a dissatisfied party to have a higher court reverse a decision at any stage of a lawsuit.
- Settlement occurs whenever the parties can agree to resolve their dispute. In Utah, most lawsuits are settled.
If we can resolve your dispute without a court fight, we will.
- Mediation brings parties together to work out their dispute with the help of a mediator, a trained specialist who is often a judge or former judge. Attorneys at Helgesen, Houtz & Jones have conducted hundreds of successful Utah mediations.
- Arbitration allows people to take their dispute to a neutral third-party who can hear and decide their case without the time and expense of a lengthy legal court battle. Arbitration is not a solution for everyone, but it might help you.
- Settlement is possible in almost every legal dispute if the lawyers are creative. We will never settle your case without your permission, but if you want to settle we can help you find the way. We have settled thousands of Utah legal disputes.
If a lawsuit is necessary, we are ready. Our legal team of lawyers, paralegals and legal assistants has won some of the largest lawsuits in Utah. We can help you!